I have decided to make a fleece tie blanket for my first project. I decided to make this kind of blanket because i do not know how to use the sewing machine yet, so I improvised to make something that would not involve that.
Most fleece fabric comes 54 inches wide – your fabric should be at least 40 inches wide. The no sew fleece blanket can be sized in proportion to your recipient. For the big and tall, just make it a little larger. Here are some guidelines on how much fabric to purchase for your no sew tie blanket:
- A baby or toddler – 1 to 1 1/2 yards of both fabrics
- A child – 1 3/4 yards of both fabrics
- An adult – 2 yards of both fabrics
- Two pieces of outerwear fleece of the same dimensions. Each fabric piece may be a solid or a print, the same pattern or different patterns.
- Tape Measure or Ruler
- 5″ x 5″ piece of paper for a cutting guide
- Cut your fabric to the desired size.
- Place one piece on top of the other lining up the edges. One piece will be the top and the other piece will be the bottom of your blanket.
- Using your 5” x 5” paper guide, cut a square from each corner of the fabric, cutting through both layers of fleece.
- To make the fringe, cut 5-inch deep slits at 1-inch intervals around all sides, cutting through both layers of fleece.
- Using an overhand knot, tie one top and one bottom fringe together – tying every other fringe around the entire blanket.
- Flip the blanket over and tie the remaining fringe together continuing around the edges until all fringe has been knotted.
Some Tips I found Online:
- Tying double knots will assure your blanket does not come apart in the wash.
- Pin the fabric pieces together to keep the fabric from shifting as you cut the fringe.
- Using different types of knots will create different effects.
- To care for your blanket, simply machine wash.
Here is the link of where i got my information from:
This is what a no tie fleece blanket looks like: